SECIA has 25+ years of proven neighborhood based advocacy with award winning environmental initiatives benefiting the entire Twin Cities.
The Community Services – www.secomo.org
SECIA effectively manages limited resources, seeks grants and other revenue to maintain a neighborhood office and staff enabling us to undertake initiatives that cannot be done by volunteers alone. Under direction of the SECIA board and its various sub-committees the SECIA staff:
- Provide timely information through mailed and electronic newsletters.
- Support the work of volunteers and committees.
- Help with neighborhood events and projects with other neighborhoods, institutions and the City.
- Provide critical day-time communication with the City, University, County, Park Board, elected officials and others on behalf of the board and community members.
The Como Green Village – www.comogreenvillage.org
Located in the ‘heart of the metro’, Como is an urban island in a sea of historic industry. With our unique combination of location, educational focus and student involvement, Como residents have taken an early and successful environmental advocacy position. Knowing that pollution and sustainability are borderless concepts SECIA’s Environment Committee and staff have developed award winning initiatives that have become the “Como Green Village”.
The Green Village umbrella concept is based on core principles related to sustainability which involve a balance between the environment, economics, and social justice. When all are working together in harmony those activities become 'sustainable'. Highlights include:
- Urban Farming: Multiple community flower and produce gardens. 'Grow-barrels' for gardening in difficult locations. Fare Share cooperative garden model.
- Jobs & Internships: University student paid and unpaid internship opportunities.
- Waste Reduction: MIMO (Move-in/Move-out) - addresses the uniqueness of student tenant cycles
- Air Quality: Air Permit Inventory Mapping Project. Good neighbor agreements. Founding member of Clean Energy Now! Coalition.
- Water Quality: Build your own rain barrel workshops. Rain garden installations. Bridal Veil Creek Reconstruction & Pollution Remediation Project.
- Renewable Energy: Solar Heated Water Pilot Project resulting in 17 Twin Cities installations. Xcel Windsource promotion. Solar motion light giveaways.
Recent Awards and Recognitions
- 2011 Best of Community Showcase Award winner from the MN State Fair.
- 2011 MEI award finalist for our Move In/Move Out (MIMO) Project.
- Twin City’s Business Magazine’s Best of Business issue (Sept 2009).
- 2009 MEI award finalist for our Solar Thermal Pilot Project.
- 2009 MEI award finalist as a partner on the Bridal Veil Reconstruction & Remediation Project.
- 2009 City of Minneapolis Special Council Resolution
- 2008 Governors Award – Air Pollution Reduction Project for our good-neighbor agreements.
- 2008 City of St. Paul accommodation from the City Council and Mayor.