Support arts education that inspires children and adults to become stewards for our earth!
For the last 28 years, ArtStart has inspired artistic creativity and illuminated the connections among people, ideas and the environment through engaging artists, children, families, and communities in quality arts education experiences. Our motto is “reusing and re-imagining our community.”
Some of the many ways we’ve served the community this year!
- Through our artist residency program, 2000 students participated in 130 days of artist residencies in 18 urban Twin Cities schools and 2 rural schools.
- Twenty-five ArtStart roster artists representing diverse cultures and art forms taught in residency and workshop programs.
- ArtStart’s ArtScraps Creative Materials Reuse and Idea Center, processed 65,000 pounds of materials that would have gone into the waste stream.
- 7,000 shoppers at ArtScraps—from artists to educators to families—reused these materials in creative projects.
- 75 families celebrated birthday parties at ArtScraps.
- Our ScrapMobile portable art program served 20,000 youth who created inspired art projects in local libraries, community centers, nature centers, daycares, and at festivals.
- We offered 12 weeks of summer art camps for kids ages 4-17 years throughout the Twin Cities.
- We initiated classes for adults that involved both artful reuse and basic skill classes in drawing, painting, printmaking, and textiles.
- ArtStart’s EcoArts Festival was revamped and implemented at the Minnesota Valley National Wildlife Refuge involving 400 children in a day-long exploration of nature and art activities with naturalists and artists.
- ArtStart’s ArtGallery featured the work of 20 Minnesota artists.
- We collaborated to develop long-term arts programming with Lifeworks Resources Inc., Audubon MN, Minnesota Valley National Wildlife Refuge, and East Side Neighborhood Services focused on artful reuse and art and nature.
What teachers say about our artist residency program:
- "With every year of participation in an ArtStart project, I learn something new to add to my toolbox. I learn what styles work best with the students at our school, I learn what types of projects are most engaging, and I learn how to work with different teaching professionals in various capacities!"
- "I saw my students' understanding of their bird's habit, food/water source, and migration knowledge grow immensely."
- "They [the students] learned the importance of protecting the habitats of our Minnesota birds and how important our area is to millions of migrating birds every year."
- "Kids who don't like to write loved making poetry!"
Why your gift matters
Your investment directly impacts our ability to continue to offer all of our diverse and creative programs for preschoolers through adults. You help us give access to classes and camps to all students through our scholarship program. With your donation, you’ll help a child experience environmental and cultural exploration and learning through the arts!
Learn more about us and our work at artstart.org.
Thank you for your generous support!