Loaves and Fishes is the largest "open to the public" meal program in the state of Minnesota.
Help us continue the work of serving free, nutritious meals to those in need at locations where the need is greatest. Make a donation today and it will be matched - up to a total of $20,000 via three generous donors: Quality Bicycle Products, By the Yard, Inc. and an anonymous donor!
In 2016, Loaves and Fishes served over 570,500 meals—the most meals ever in our 35-year history—and we are on track to serve 700,000 in 2017!
Our meal program began 35 years ago, in 1982, with one dining site each in Minneapolis and St. Paul. Since that time, we have grown to serving 2,000 meals daily, via the following programs:
* Community meal partnerships with nonprofits that address societal issues outside of hunger (like The Link and Ain Dah Yung Center - shelters for at-risk children)
* Summer and after-school meals and snacks for school-aged children
* Farms/gardens that grow fresh produce for our guests
* Street outreach meal program (we bring food to inner city areas where homeless people gather)
* Free produce markets, whereby fresh fruits and vegetables are given to community residents at no cost
We are present in seven Minnesota counties. We serve urban, rural, and suburban residents - most of whom have an income well below the poverty level, at just $527 per month.
While the name "Loaves and Fishes" was initially taken from scripture, we are not a religious organization. We are guided by our vision that all people, regardless of socioeconomic, cultural or ethnic background, deserve to meet their basic needs for food, dignity and respect.