Supporting families during pregnancy, childbirth and the postpartum time
The Childbirth Collective is the “go to” place in the Twin Cities for families to learn about normal birth and evidence based care.
The Childbirth Collective was conceived in the early 90s. A group of dedicated women recognized the value of labor support and doula care and formed the Childbirth Collective. Since our humble beginnings we have grown to be a vibrant and thriving birth community. Today the Twin Cities metro area has the highest doula attended birth rates in the United States.
We are a community of birth professionals who support families during the childbearing year by promoting doula support, advocating evidence based care and providing accessible education based on the wellness model of pregnancy care. We offer free, weekly Parent Topic Nights to hundreds of families every year. Topics include All About Doulas, Medication & Interventions, Your Amazing Newborn, Breastfeeding and much more. Individuals and families looking for a birth doula, midwife, birth photographer, massage therapist, postpartum doula or other birth professional can find them through the Childbirth Collective.
We are a 501(c)(3) non-profit and run completely by volunteers. From our grassroots beginnings, our foremothers imagined a birth community that offered support and education to families in their childbearing year through donation based Parent Topic Nights. Today we are 160+ members strong and continue to operate solely through the generosity and donations of families we serve, friends in the community, and people who have felt that our presence in the birth community impacted themselves or a loved one for the better.Donations help us serve families throughout the childbearing year. Our programs include:
- Parent Topic Nights -- pregnancy, birth, and parenting educational workshops – held weekly in Minneapolis and St. Paul
- Giving families access to a large network of local birth workers, evidence based information, and details about birth and parenting-related local events
- Offering continuing education and professional development to our members, including doula enrichment workshops that enhance and grow their knowledge to be of service to families
- Promoting doula support and understanding of the role and benefits of doulas to families and medical providers
- Advocating for better policies for pregnancy care including culturally appropriate and inclusive care, insurance reimbursement for doula services and other efforts. The Childbirth Collective works to build relationships with hospitals, birth centers, organizations and care providers in our region
- Supporting and collaborating with other vital organizations in Minnesota that provide services and resources to birthing families
The Childbirth Collective is a 501(c)3 non-profit and all donations are tax deductible