The Volleyball is raising money for Augsburg University.
The Auggie VB Team is Traveling to Nicaragua in May!
The Augsburg volleyball team is headed to Nicaragua in 2018! Any financial gift is greatly appreciated and will help get our team to our destination in May. Also, any donation at $100 or more ($50 for those under 30) will also make you a member of our Augsburg Volleyball Match Point Fundraising Club. Please contact Coach Becker with any questions. Thank you!
This is the second time our program will have traveled to Nicaragua to compete internationally. Our first trip was an unbelievable experience, so I am not surprised the team has selected Nicaragua as our trip again. Here are the "Top 10 Reasons" why we go on this trip, including some specific details about Nicaragua.
Why go abroad as a team? Here are the reasons....
1. There is no better team bonding experience than traveling and competing internationally together. Top level teams at every division travel internationally.
2. Getting the extra 10 practice dates and 3 competitive matches helps us get the hands-on gym time with our team that we don't get during our usual non-traditional practices. This additional time together will better prepare us for the competition we face every single year in MIAC play.
3. While abroad, we will compete against great international competition that will challenge us to step up our game to new levels.
4. The reflection and journaling work we do while abroad allows our student-athletes to get their required "Auggie Experience."
5. Service work opportunities on these trips allow us to immerse ourselves in the culture and have an experience that will hopefully impact each individual's calling/vocation forever. We will spend several days on the trip working alongside the local community in Nicaragua. Players will have a chance to work one-on-one with Nicaraguan students, read books to children, bring books out to rural communities as part of the "Mobile Library", and learn more about "Manos Unidas", a local nonprofit that hires disabled adults at livable wages to make grocery bags.
6. Giving our players a first-class experience is not only a recruiting tool but something we pride ourselves in here as coaches of the Auggie VB Team. This top notch experience will hopefully build a stronger alumni base as well.
7. "The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." -St. Augustine
8. Spending time in another culture will teach us more about ourselves AND doing it as a team teaches us how to be around each other --- we WILL be a better team.
9. The memories made will last a lifetime and traveling together as a team is truly a once-in-a-lifetime experience. The players that traveled to Nicaragua last time still talk about the volunteering, playing on the outdoor courts, the amazing breakfast provided, the catamaran, zip-lining, and the entire trip as one of their favorite experiences in their volleyball careers.
10. The three weeks we spend together before and during the trip give us enough time and opportunity to learn more about leadership and mental toughness. Our hope is that these developed skills will help us on and off the court for the rest of our lives.
Thank you for your support!! Sincerely, The Auggie VB Coaches.